Monday, August 10, 2009

The Big Summer Project

I wanted to remodel/redecorate my bathroom this summer because I thought it needed a more grown-up look. I had redecorated it when I moved back home after college, so it was time for something new again. Here is what it looked like before:
Can you tell I was going through an "I love Hawaii" phase? Ever since I went there in college, I loved everything tropical! I still do love Hawaii, just not on every single thing in my house. I did the border myself using sponges I had cut out and acrylic paint.
The first step was painting the walls a new color. I chose a tan shade, mainly because we already had a bunch left over from when we had the house painted a year ago. The light fixture has been there since we moved into the house in 1995. My parents had actually already bought a new light fixture for this bathroom when they remodeled their bathroom last year.
I definitely wanted to change the color of the cabinets. I thought about painting them white, but that would have been a lot more work and I didn't know if it would look right with the beige countertop/toilet/bathtub. So I decided to stain the cabinets darker. If I were to do this in the future, I'd probably get someone else to do it! It was hard and it didn't quite turn out the way I expected, but overall I'm satisfied with the results. I also put on new brushed nickel knobs. You can see a little bit of the old flooring in the before picture, but most of it is covered up by the palm tree rug. My parents actually paid for this part of the project. It was the most expensive part!
I chose to keep the white shelf I had in my bathroom, because I wanted to save money and I didn't see the purpose of buying a whole new shelf. It also took me a while to find the decorative items to put on the shelf.
It was hard choosing a shower curtain, because there are so many out there! I knew I didn't want anything too dark, cause it takes away too much light in the shower. I used to have two towel racks, but I didn't think all that was necessary, so when I changed the hardware to brushed nickel, I got just one towel ring.
The last part of the project was figuring out what to put on the opposite wall. I made some Scripture pictures and put them in a frame.
Whew! It was a bigger project than I had anticipated, but it was worth it. I like my classy new bathroom!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Your pictures were worth the wait. It does look all grown up now; I'm impressed :-) You go girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Melody has a big girl bathroom! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Followers